Bread Bonda is a South Indian crispy snacks and comes in two major varieties sweet and spicy. These are perfect on a dull day with a hot chai. These are bread balls filled with potato curry and fried to golden brown.
Potato boiled and smashed - 4
Finely chopped green chilli - 2
Salt as per taste
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Urud dal - 1 tsp
Onions chopped - 2
Lemon - 1/2
Oil for deep frying
Bread - 12
Curry leaves - 1 spring
Corriander leaves - 1 tbsp
Ginger finely chopped - 1/2 piece
Hing - 1 pinch
1) Heat 1 tsp oil in pan and add mustard seeds.
2) Once they splutter add in urud dal, curry leaves, hing, onions, turmeric, ginger and green chilli's respectively. Saute them till the onion turns into a nice golden brown color.
3) Then add the smashed potatoes, salt and coriander leaves. Mix nicely adding the juice of half the lemon. Keep aside to cool and make them into round balls of the size of a lemon.
4) Heat oil in a deep bottomed vessel.
5) Cut the bread through the brown corners then tap the bread with little water. Then place round balls of the potato and cover nicely.
1) Pressure cook the potatoes for two whistles or micro-oven them for 12 minutes.