Kulfi conjures up delicious memories of subtle, nutty flavors mixed with spices,milk and sugar.Frozen to a consistency like ice cream, the dense concoction is eaten with pleasure.
This rich dessert is likely to have been introduced in the subcontinent of India and is found in neighboring countries in the Middle East.Who, exactly disovered kulfi? While history does not point to one specific inventor, Mughal emperors who reigned in the 16th to 19th centuries in India are thought to have originated kulfi. Inhabitants who lived near the Himalayas had come across freezing methods that included sweets or desserts.
You can make kulfi in many flavours – saffron, mango, pistachio, cardamom, orange, almond, rose, avocado, green tea,Chikoo, Faluda, Malai and Saffron, plus the more familiar Coconut and Strawberry and any other flavor you fancy.
Kulfiwallahs.Kulfiwallas placing cone-shaped molds into large earthen pots, or “matka,”filled with ice and salt. When a kulfi is ordered, they simply pull the frozen treat from its mold and serve it on a plate, garnished with pistachios, cardamom or rice noodles.Kulfi reminds me of my Childhood days
This is a very simple but delicious recipe for Kulfi (Indian Ice Cream).
Heavy Whipping Cream – 16 oz
Evaporated Milk – 12 oz
Cool Whip Whipped Topping - 16 oz
Sweetened Condensed Milk - 14 oz
Saffron (Kesar) – 1 big pinch
Sugar – 1 tsp
Cashews, Pistachios, Almonds,Raisins - 1/2 cup, coarsely ground
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine Heavy Whipping Cream,Evaporated Milk,Cool Whip Whipped topping,Sweetened Condensed Milk.
2. Using an electric hand blender (or by hand), gently mix all ingredients together.
4. Add in Saffron and Sugar and Nuts. Mix well.
5. Pour mixture into small dixie style plastic cups. Cover cups with foil and insert a wooden popsicle stick into the center.
6. Freeze Kulfi for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight.
7. Serves 25
1. Kulfi can also be molded in a popsicle maker or fancy shaped ice cube trays.
2. Kulfi has a very long shelf life ,so it can be an awesome instant dessert option.
3. Roll the dixie cup in between your hands before u eat, this will allow the kulfi to come out more easily.
4. Serve them straight from the refrigerator as the kulfi melts very fast.